Saturday 6 October 2012

Change of plan

Today was going to be an assault on the North face of the 'office' but I really can't get motivated to do it so instead I'm going to have a shot at writing a bit more of The Story.
So far in Story 1 Part 1 our hero Bob has lost his remaining family in a mining disaster back home in Northumberland and has moved to America, although I may change that to a fishing accident off the Northumberland coast. He arrived in New York, found work in a lumber yard and a bar where he killed a man in self-defence. He decided that he'd had enough of New York and was last seen boarding a train for Cleveland, OH. Story 1 Part 2 will be his time in Cleveland.
Some research is needed now to see what post-US Civil War Cleveland was like in 1865 so I'm going to start with that today and hope that Bob won't have to sit on the train for too long before he can set off. I think he might meet someone pleasant on the train who may or may not play a big part in his future adventures but as The Story has a life of its own who knows?
I know I should be de-cluttering but my brother will be over next weekend to help finish off the garage and that might give me more motivation to sort out the 'office'. I have 6 or 7 weekends plus I intend to take a week off in November until I need to move. I'll get the skip in for the week I'm off so I should be sailing fair when the time comes to move out into wherever I'm moving to until I find a place in Amble.
Tomorrow of course is another football day so it is unlikely that I'll get anything done this weekend. The incentive of having someone to help is the great thing. I need to work collaboratively most of the time or else I get sidetrac...look! A squirrel! See what I mean. So when the brother is here I get much more done than when I'm on my own. Alone I tend to do loner things like write or read or mope about. Now there's a time and place for such lonesome activities but not when you are supposed to be de-cluttering ready for a move. Still, next week I'll start in earnest and get a good crack at the whole thing, promise!
I might stay in tonight and get weaving with The Story; I think a night at The Story will see Bob nicely settled in Cleveland so that I can relate his adventures there before starting Story 2 Part 1 with his next move as he works his way West.
I was thinking of posting an extract of The Story on here but I'm not sure the best way to do that so I won't until I can find out how.
TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment