Wednesday 2 December 2015

A big decision

After nearly 39 years working in the Civil Service I told my boss today that I intend to take early retirement as of 30 April next year.
It is a big decision and will mean a drop in income. This will be offset by the fact that I will be free of the demands of travel and the daily grind of keeping up with the increasing demands to do more with less.
I like what I'm currently doing but as things are going there won't be much call for my role in the future. I'm worn out and have started to worry in the last few months that I wouldn't reach my full retirement age of 60 without having had either a breakdown or a heart attack.
So, as an act of self preservation I reached the conclusion that the time was right for a change of direction.
From 1 May 2016 I hope to be able to concentrate on writing more poetry (sorry!), finishing writing West goes West and reading all the books I've wanted to read and not had the time or inclination to read. Perhaps I can get a part-time job as a bookseller, now that would be a great thing for a bookworm like me. Having said that for a while I'd like to just kick back and enjoy the freedom I hope to have to do the things I want to do instead of constantly worrying about the things I have to do.
Travel is also on the agenda, travel to parts of the UK and Ireland I haven't seen and want to visit plus trips to parts of the USA, Canada and The Antipodes which I've alays wanted to visit but never had the time or money to go to.
Mainly though I hope to release the stress that has built up over the years and try to enjoy life whilst I'm still young enough and have sufficient faculties to appreciate the activities I'd like to undertake.
Of all the years I've been in the Civil Service I've probably enjoyed about a third of them. Most of the 1980's and '90's were torture and had I had the courage I should have quit and moved on. Unfortunately I didn't have the cojones to leave and struggled on. I have now reached the point where I need my life back. After two failed marriages and years of making the best of a bad job now is the time to move on and be positive.
A cabin in the woods beckons where I can sit and regain my mojo before it's too late.
Wish me luck!
Until the next time, I wish you Peace and Love. ttfn x

No comments:

Post a Comment