Sunday 20 January 2013

Scotland

I have been in Glasgow for the past week delivering a training event and as I'm in Edinburgh next week for a similar reason I decided it was daft to go all the way back to Amble only to turn around to return on Monday so I have been staying with my pal Charlie in sunny Kirkintilloch.
It has been a tonic this weekend to be able to enjoy good company and get out instead of being tied to worrying about what is happening with the house sale, which is still dragging on but enough about that.
Last night Charlie and I went to the Old Fruitmarket in Glasgow to see Petunia and the Vipers at the Celtic Connection music festival. They were fairly average but the support, Woody Pines was very good. If you ever see them playing near you I would certainly encourage you to go along. They are a bluesy rockabilly band and they knocked the main band into a cocked hat.
On Saturday afternoon we went up to Callendar to the Bracklinn Falls which is also well worth a trip, I posted a couple of pictures on Facebook so you can get an idea of what it's like up there.
So all-in-all it has been a good weekend and a tonic. No doubt there'll be problems to overcome in the next few weeks but at least I've had a chance to relax so I hope I can cope a little better than I would have done if I'd not had a break.
I may not have mentioned this but I've decided to rent a house instead of buying, that way I'll have a little more freedom to decide where I'll end up and also have some savings behind me. Buying would have tied up all my cash and I really don't want that. All I hope is that the house sale goes through soon and I can get the place I like in Amble before someone else steps in. Renting means that I am able to move if I want without having to worry about selling up. I really don't want all the hassle of selling. It seems people put their ethics and empathy in a cupboard when they get involved in house purchases.
Thinking about moving and suchlike, I do have a hankering for a move to Scotland, most likely Glasgow or somewhere close to it. I have a couple of good pals living there and the city has a great entertainment and music scene plus it is close to stunning scenery. It's also not far from the North East of England if I have a hankering to visit my roots, what's left of them. I really have no reason to stay put, The Brother and Sister in Law don't need me around so I am pretty much free to go where I like if I can afford the rent. I still appreciate their letting me stay with them but when all's said and done I'm still an extra body in their house which makes it difficult for them.
My 'carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero' approach will, I hope lead me into discovering people and places that I would not have found by staying in my old rut. I'm still the old Heddonlad but with added openness to change and new experiences.
Of course there is still a link with Madame even though we are divorced until the house finalises but once that is done we'll have to see what she intends to do. She's welcome to tag along with my new approach if she wants but if not then so be it. 
Anyway, I'm now going to try to get The Story moving along, so TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment